Group Therapy at PACE Recovery CenterShared stories and experiences have the power to heal. At PACE Recovery Center, your extended residential care or Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) includes group therapy sessions where men gather to learn from and support one another during every phase of treatment.
Advantages of Group Therapy for Substance AbuseAccording to SAMSHA, “The natural propensity of human beings to congregate makes group therapy a powerful therapeutic tool for treating substance abuse…” This interpersonal process brings powerful results for chemically dependent and dual diagnosis clients. During therapy with others, the men of PACE are able to:
- Reduce stress. Research shows that story sharing helps participants deal with stress, guilt, shame, and anger in productive ways.
- Overcome loneliness. Co-occurring and substance abuse disorders are isolating. During addiction therapy sessions, clients experience camaraderie in a cooperative setting.
- Learn from others’ experiences. Group members view recovery differently, and can grow by drawing upon one another’s experiences.
- Develop skills. Some of PACE’s therapy sessions are centered on valuable life skills topics such as anger management, relapse prevention, family relationships, 12-Step lessons, and gender-specific issues.
- Get motivated to change. Group therapy increases participant confidence and sets up a chain of accountability that motivates abstinence and long-term sobriety.